Looking to hire a retaining wall contractor? In this post, we’ll help you do your research by offering you some essential tips on what to look for when hiring a specialist.
Should you attempt to do the work yourself first?
Many DIY enthusiasts might be interested in maintaining or constructing retaining walls by themselves. After all, it’s a relatively simple concept and it looks fairly simple to achieve.
However, retaining walls are deceptively difficult to install correctly and maintain. While they may seem simple, they serve an important purpose that has to be done right if they are to be effective.
Contractors with years of experience understand the various factors and conditions which could lead to retaining walls collapse or breaking down due to wear and tear more quickly. They know how to stabilize your retaining wall and how to deal with different soil types. They also take into account things like drainage and also the right materials to choose from based on the look you want and the budget you have.
In short, if you plan to keep your retaining wall for a long time and have a serious use for it, then hiring a contractor is usually the best option. While it can seem like a fun and relatively simple DIY project, it’s important to get your retaining wall right the first time and ensure that you aren’t violating any permits or damaging your land in the process.
The benefits of working with a retaining wall contractor
Here are some benefits that you can expect when working with a retaining wall contractor instead of doing it yourself.
- Contractors can access fantastic deals. Since contractors build a network with material providers and other contractors, they can offer you a fantastic price that you wouldn’t get even if you attempted the project yourself.
- Contractors offer guarantees. To give you peace of mind, a contractor will usually offer a guarantee to ensure that you’re compensated if your retaining wall is damaged, or they cause damage to your property, or if they take too long. This gives you added peace of mind and ensures that the project will be a success or you’ll get your money back.
- Contractors get the job done quickly and properly. If you want to ensure that your retaining wall is built correctly and quickly, then hiring a contractor is the best way to guarantee it. With years of experience and access to high-quality materials, contractors can cut down the amount of time it takes and ensure a great final product.
In short, hiring a contractor to build your retaining wall results in a lot less stress, it’s going to be cheaper overall, and you get access to qualified professionals that will assist you every step of the way. From the initial design and concept sketches to the final products, they can offer you a comprehensive service from start to finish.
What to consider before building a retaining wall contractor
Now that we know the benefits of hiring a retaining wall contractor, here are some things to consider before you agree to a contract.
- Make sure the retaining wall contractor is insured and has documentation to prove it. You don’t want to accidentally hire an unqualified or uninsured contractor because they could get away with damaging your property or even injuring you.
- Look at reviews for the retaining wall contractor. This will give you a rough idea of what to expect when you hire the retaining wall contractor.
- Always review the contract that they draft before you sign it. There may be clauses that you find questionable and there may be things that will take advantage of you if you’re not careful. If you find that the contract has some strange clauses or terms, then you can always question the retaining wall contractor.
- Ensure that you know exactly what you’re paying for. Don’t just assume that certain services are included or that the quoted price is everything that you’ll be paying for. There may be hidden costs or there may be a misunderstanding about what services you’re paying for. Always ensure that you’re communicating and encourage the retaining wall contractor to be transparent.
- Find a local retaining wall contractor. It’s usually much easier to work with contractors when they work nearby because it means you’re accessing local services and suppliers that are generally more efficient.
Contact Sequoia Stonescapes today for Outdoor Services
Looking to design and construct your own retaining wall? Get in touch with Sequoia Stonescapes today to learn more about how we can help you turn your plans into reality.